Congratulations to the winners of the 2013 Strasser Writing Prize! Of all the entries, these three papers were selected as the best by a committee of Honors faculty reading through several rounds of elimination!
The winner is awarded a $100 gift card, and each runner up is awarded a $50 gift card.
Once again, congratulations!!
Katie Winters – “Clinical Studies of Aphasia: The Role of Language in Social Death”
You’re running out of time to submit your best paper to the Strasser Writing Prize!
UHPers can win a grand prize of $100 or one of two runner-up prizes of $50. You can only enter one paper from any UHP course during the past year, so make sure it’s your best!
Submit your entry online after reading the full rules (which have changed from last year). This year’s deadline for entries is Friday, March 1st, 2013.
You’ve already written the paper, now submit!
For too long we have sat silently, listening as others tell us what we shall do, who we shall be. Patiently, politely, we watched others climb the stage at graduation and take a place behind that powerful podium of ceremony.
But no more.
It’s time that an Honors student seize the opportunity. It’s time for a voice that speaks for us to be heard. Seize the moment, apply to be the student commencement speaker at graduation.
You have until Friday. We’re all counting on you.
Commencement Student Speaker Competition 2013
- Any student (undergraduate, graduate, on-campus, distance learning, etc.) who has completed or will complete graduation requirements after May 20, 2012 (i.e. students who earned their degrees in Fall 2012 or will earn their degree in Spring 2013 or Summer 2013) is eligible.
- Good academic standing
- Click here to submit the following materials by March 1, 2013:
- Biography (150 words or less)
- Video link (Youtube, vimeo, etc.) – speech three minutes in duration
- Note: This video is an audition designed to evaluate the students’ speaking and presentation skills, so the speech in the video should be the speech that the student will give on the National Mall.
- Text of your speech
- Up to ten finalists will be asked to audition in person (or live Skype) their speeches to the CommencementStudent Speaker Committee on April 5, 2013. The committee will select a winner shortly thereafter.
- Six reserved seating Commencement tickets on the National Mall
- Photo with Commencement speaker
- Invitation to special events for self and two guests
- Commemorative Commencement photo CD